"...it was in these matters of the heart that my own heart was sifted and scoured and exposed, the process of purifying begun.” Elisabeth Elliot

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Queen of Vocations

"As a single woman, I had no question that it was man's responsibility to do the wooing. This meant holding back my natural aggressiveness and trusting God to work in the heart of a man if marriage was in his plan for me. A man, on the other hand, has a different position.  He too must learn to hold back his "hunter" instinct, praying, watching and trusting God to show him what to do and when. When he is shown, he is to act, accepting the demands of his headship and the sacrifice that goes with it." Elisabeth Elliott

Oh, to meet such a man!  A prayerful man who hears from the Holy Spirit about me!  That is why I must pray.  I must go to battle on this man's behalf.  He may be weak or wounded by the culture. His vision may be tainted.  He may not "see" me. Or, he may see me and be afraid to approach me...I believe I have a secret weapon: Our Lady.  I'm invoking her as Queen of Vocations.  I've read so many stories where she guided people by the hand to one another.  Pietro Molla, husband of St. Gianna Molla, begged the Madonna to send him a saintly woman to be the mother of his future children.  Wow. Was his prayer not answered to the max?!?!  Two things strike me about his request: even though he was in his 40s when he started courting Gianna, he believed that he was called to a marriage vocation.  Also, he never stopped praying for that vocation.  Pietro was a shy, introvert and he probably would not have pursued Gianna if he gave into his tendencies. I believe it was his prayers that infused the situation with grace and lead to their overwhelmingly fruitful union.



So I also place my vocation--my future spouse--in the capable hands of Our Lady! I trust in her intercession.

No comments:

Post a Comment