"...it was in these matters of the heart that my own heart was sifted and scoured and exposed, the process of purifying begun.” Elisabeth Elliot

Friday, January 29, 2016

The Return of the King

For the past few weeks, I've been thinking about manhood in our society. I've been thinking of the many ways men have been wronged by the feminist movement, and how they have been driven to retreat into the recesses of adolescence. Recently, a video from members of the clergy and laity encouraging men to man up and start to lead again in society, made the rounds on social media.  The premise of the video is that a lot of the troubles in society today stem from the lack of male leadership and male presence in our homes, schools, and churches. We are withering as a society because of the lack of men. Physically, there are men all around us, but  spiritually, emotionally, and psychologically, there is an absence of true male leadership.

 The title of this blog post is a reference to the Lord of the Rings. If you recall, Aragorn  has not stepped into his birthright or his lineage and has been living in the wild as a Ranger. There is a scene where Elrond, the father of the woman he loves encourages him to "put aside the Ranger.  Become who you were born to be." It is this manly encouragement as well as the love of a pure and good woman that transforms Aragorn. He steps into the role and by the end of the series, he truly embodies a king. There is also a verse in scripture that I love. The more I think about it or hear it, the more I think about the role of men and how they are truly called to be leaders.

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter. To search out a matter is the honor of kings."

To me, that scripture validates the honor and privilege that men have in being leaders.   God in his infinite goodness provides everything we need, sometimes hiding or veiling the very things that he longs to give us. But the one who persists in prayer, and "searches out a matter" will receive honor and favor. I know that I am taking the scripture somewhat out of context, as it was not referring to a man finding a wife, but I find this scripture very apropos for relationships.  In the areas of courtship and marriage, scripture is very clear that it is the man's responsibility to pursue.  Even our bodies confirm this truth. Man by his physical nature is designed to give while women by their physical nature are called to receive. This may seem like a simple biological reality, but it takes on profound meaning in the area of love and marriage.

Elisabeth Elliot, the author whose quote inspired the title of this blog,  is dogged and her belief that the initiation of relationships must come from the man. It's not because a woman is too delicate. It's not because she's trying to set women back. It's simply because she recognizes that the greatest honor and glory to both God and man can only come from following our true natures.  While I'm waiting for my own King, I'm praying that God will prepare me to be a worthy Queen. I'm also praying that he will be courageous enough to pursue, and that I will have the grace to receive with humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment